Monday, November 19, 2007

happy thanksgiving

with thanksgiving right around the corner i wanted to recall some of my best thanksgiving memories.

i think only two have been truly memorable. the year my parents split, [what was left of] my family didn't have much of a thanksgiving, or if we did i wasn't invited. so i made other plans, and somehow, that ended up being having thanksgiving dinner with my best friend's mom, just her & me. i think her daughters were celebrating with their father that year, so she was going to be alone & i was going to be alone so we decided to be alone together.

we ended up going to salty's on alki for the thanksgiving dinner buffet, then watched the mr. bean movie where we giggled and laughed like little kids throughout the movie. i can't even remember if i thought the movie was funny or if i was just laughing and having a good time because she was enjoying it so much. it left quite an impression on my friend's mom, because she brings it up every single year, about how she remembers how much fun she had that thanksgiving. and it makes me so happy to hear it, and a great memory to look back on, despite some of the life hurdles that year.

the next one was when my sister and i were living in arizona with my aunt & uncle. my cousin and his family had flown in, so my sister and i were sharing my room, and sharing my waterbed. my aunt is a fantastic cook, so we gorged ourselves on the great food - turkey, stuffing, potatoes, corn, and for us young folks, fruit punch. later that night after we had gone to bed, i was partially woken by a noise that sounded like a sneeze. i'm a pretty heavy sleeper and enjoy my sleep, so i just started drifting back to sleep when my sister wakes me up and says "i just threw up."

"what?"

"i just threw up."

the image of corn in a fruit punch dyed half digested thanksgiving meal is something i will never forget. did i mention it was in my hair? it was everywhere.

happy eating. :)

No comments: